Sunday, April 8, 2012

Hoy


Today I learned a lot about community, family and customs. I was invited to my friend’s house for dinner. His family was celebrating Easter, and he invited our close group of friends to eat with them.
His mother is Salvadoran; she has 3 brothers and one sister that came to the dinner too. We asked one another which part of El Salvador we were from. As it turns out we are from the same place almost. They might be going down to visit while I am there. 
The interesting part of it all is that, even though we are from the same country…they still did, and had different customs than my family. We did things very similarly, but very differently at the same time. For example, my family plays a game called mafia. And they play a game called loup garou—essentially they are the same game, just a few things changed.
It’s interesting that we share the same big ideas, or concepts about culture…family gatherings, food, games, but we don’t all play or eat the same thing. This is how I have begun to understand how I might phase culture shock in my own country. Stepping into his house was it’s own country. I had to figure out how they did things there, and that is here in Utah…with a family that is from my own country.
While in El Salvador, I will be stepping into a bunch of little worlds. FUNDAMUNI will definitely be one of these places. I really have no idea how things will be here. Even though I have met most of the people I will be working with, I honestly don’t know their lives… how they think, what they value. I really enjoy meeting people. And learning from and about them. 
I am getting more and more exited as the days pass to be able to get to know the people that make up with organization.
Excitement is just one of the feelings I’ve been having… its all of it. Scared is another one of those feelings. Purpose is over coming all of those feelings. Its going down. 

2 comments: