Friday, April 6, 2012

¡Que Rico!


I had been forgetting to mention a huge part of my experience while in El Salvador. We don't really eat the same food as here. Burgers, Pizza, and Hot Dogs are a luxury over there. Pizza Hut and Burger King are the places we go eat if it's you're having your birthday celebration.
Any other time we eat PUPUSAS. Other things we eat include: Atol Chuco, frijoles, crema, queso, carne asada, tamales, elote loco, chiles renenos, dulces tia toya, horchata, and many more. I love these foods, but I haven't had them in a very long time.
Actually this is one of my concerns... there will be nothing else to eat but these foods. We don't even have regular candy, or chocolates. Most are made from dry fruits. It's healthy but sometimes you just miss your Nutella jar. I will probably eat pupusas every single day while I am there. This is how it just to be when I was little. Although delicious, you can get sick of them. Frijoles are another food that you eat every day no matter what. I know I will get sick of it. Eventually I know I will get use to it, or at least wait out the fact that this will be all there is to eat. I want to learn to make pupusas really well. And the curtido that is served with them, which is a kind of salad... I know the general procedure to make them, but to be honest they don't come out the way that they taste in Olocuilta (pupusa central of the world). I think it's really important to keep these recipes alive because I am the one who will pass on these traditions to my children. I don't want my family to lose their traditions after my grandmas passes. Right now she is the only one who knows how to make all of these meals. It is one of my goals to learn to make these foods, that have been around forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment