Monday, January 30, 2012

preparations!

There are a lot more things to do before the trip than I thought. I've been trying to figure out where to leave all my things before I go. I finally found a place big enough to leave my bed and other furniture. The best thing that happened this week was confirming with my contact about staying at her house! This will make my shadowing of her organization a lot easier. I was figuring out how I was going to be transporting myself while down there. This way I can avoid trying to drive myself or take the dangerous bus. I am leaving to El Salvador tomorrow and will be staying with her for a week, setting up the things I will need for my longer stay this summer. Even though I will mostly be shadowing her, lately I've been thinking--maybe I can do more than that.
She basically teaches the people in rural communities about staying healthy. I want to talk with her while I am there this week and get her insight about a possible topic that I could prepare and teach about.
I wan to practice my public health skills. Maybe we can set up a workshop where she teaches one half and I teach the other. Or maybe I can plan an activity that has to do with what we are talking about. And if we are going to teach children (which I would love) then maybe I can come up with some games to keep them engaged in what we are presenting to them. There really are a lot of things I can do to prepare.
I am very fortunate that we opportunity came up to be able to plan ahead with her. Also, I want to ask her if there are any materials that the organization needs, or that she needs for the workshop. Materials such as; color pencils, paint, boards, glue, etc. are much easier to get here rather than there. If I can fundraise and get them here before I go that would be great!
I haven't seen this lady since I was ten years old. So, I am also concerned about our relationship. I want to be helpful to her. I am still thinking of ways in which I can show her my commitment and appreciation for what she is doing to help me out. At the end of all this I don't want to just buy her some card... I will be thinking of this...

No comments:

Post a Comment