Monday, March 5, 2012

In the long run....

So I've been thinking. How is my project going to matter in the long run. I have an idea or... a dream of what I hope will happen after I introduce my project to the communities. Hopefully the people will take the project.. perhaps make changes make it more efficient to their needs but ultimately continue it. It would be amazing if it became part of the science classes of (El Salvador) the communities.
What I would want is that it became like cow eye or frog dissections here in the US. Schools just do it. That would be awesome, I think it would be a great way to create awareness about safe water, and what we can do to keep it healthy.
Today in my religion class, we talked about how the person who gave his 5 loafs of bread must have felt like. I commented that if it was me in that situation I would have seriously pondered how that little bread would feed ten thousand people. What is the point of giving that little bit if it's not going to help out but a hand full. And then the miracle happened.
I am not saying that my project will be a miracle. But I do need to be more humble in trusting the Lord. Of small and simple things right? With the organization I am working with, I will be an intern or a volunteer... I am not the star of the show at all. But I can contribute, in small ways I can make a difference.
I think mentally things are coming more into perspective for me. I am realistically setting goals for my project, I am aware that this is a learning experience for me, but that at the same time I can start something big here. Field notes are really going to be important for me. I really have to work on being very observant, usually I am the distracted type. But I don't want to miss anything. One day I will run my own project. If I don't learn how they (programs) work I will waste tons of time trying to re-invent the wheel. I get overwhelmed because there is so much to do. I even let my mind go as far as to think that water quality is not even that important...that I should look for the very root of all problems. This is were I need to stay focused, and know that I cant go attacking all problems all at once. Baby steps get you to your final destination. Again, I'm not exactly sure how or what that is... I do know it will involve the betterment of people's life (somehow). So much to decide all of the sudden as we grow from children to adults. If we don't remain calm and take a breath every once in a while...we might just lose our heads trying to figure out the "rest of our lives". Day to day. Day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment