Friday, March 2, 2012

Things don't just happen.

It was really interesting that in class we talked about the same things that I had written about just a few hours before class. Last post I wrote about decision making, which choices I would be confronted with while in El Salvador. Most of my ideas had to do with my safety. For example choosing to sit in the back of a pick up truck will probably not keep me very safe.
In class Sarah brought up the example of choosing whether or not if was safe to intervene in a domestic fight. Some of the people in class argued that it was, others thought that it was not the place or time--and the culture was different.
When I wrote about choosing I didn't necessarily think about these kinds of scenarios but I'm sure I will see some of this. What shocked me most about our conversation in class and my previous post was that own of the girls brought up that if we decide before we are presented with the choice it will be a lot easier. This is exactly what I had written that same day. I guess we all have been very tentative to what church leaders have been telling us for the past couple of years. If we decide we will not break the word of wisdom it will be that much easier to say no to drugs or alcohol when it is in front of us.
So, I should decide now if I am or will intervene in certain situations. The best advice from class was--follow the prompting of the Spirit. This is what I can trust will work every time. I want to take precautions and make choices that will keep me safe, but I also don't want to be a Pharisee or a Priest I want to be a good Samaritan and help those in need.
Its a complicated issue. And I need to see how far I am willing to go to do the right thing... till the ends of the earth I hope. At the same  time if something happens to me I won't be able to be that good Samaritan... I might just end up being the one who needs help.

No comments:

Post a Comment