Monday, March 12, 2012

IRB-making me think about my project.

In a weird way the IRB process has helped me think deeply about what my project is really about and what  I want to accomplish.
There are two big aspects about my trip that I wanted to accomplish. I want to study FUNDAMUNI and initiate a water quality workshop. I was not very sure which of these was the actual reason of nature of my study. I talked it out with Jay... the water quality workshop is not really a study at all. After the conversation we had, we concluded that the workshop is not the "study" aspect of my study. It is very interchangeable. I even thought about a new idea that I would like to try out soon.
I was thinking about the possibility of creating a community garden. We have the problem in El Salvador that we are not very creative with our food choices. We have been stuck with corn forever now. Nutrition is limited when all you are growing is one crop. I am not saying that the whole country needs to change their agricultural products. But families can start planting more lettuce or vegetables in general. It is about introducing the idea and benefits of this. Also thinking about how to get seeds, etc. But this project will have to be at another time.
 Juts the fact that the workshop part of my project could potentially be changed so easily helped me realize  that the prominent or actual "project" is to learn how to carry out a workshop. I want to learn how this organization is doing these workshops on an everyday level.
Some of the questions that I have been thinking about are:

Where are they finding the people?
What workshops are relevant to this community?
How do they present the information to them
What materials, or learning props do they use?

Besides these questions, I've also realized or have thought to finally apply all that we have been learning in past classes. I want to take into consideration the community's value system. How much do they value water quality? Good nutrition?
They may see the effects of having hazardous water and poor nutrition, but this does not mean that it is on their priority list. (Even though it should) How does FUNDAMUNI go about strategizing workshops that will first educate the people about action-consequence scenarios? If you don't understand what you have... it's much easier to miss its importance once it's gone.

I feel a lot better about my IRB application. My study is much clearer. I was scared that the word "children" would make my application difficult. It is all about really explaining that the workshop is but a small part of what I will be doing. I am not studying the children or anything like that. I will be observing their reaction to the workshop... that should not be too scary for the IRB. I was a little worried because I didn't want to make it seem like it was a big deal. Jay and I discussed that I will be interning... more than study something (intern is a much "safer" word to use). What I will study will be how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment