Monday, March 19, 2012

The IRB


As I’ve been talking with my faculty mentor, I have realized that there is a lot I can do to make the most of my project. Dr. Cole has been really supportive and enthusiastic about my water quality efforts.
Not that my fellow students don’t care, but it is hard to show excitement about something you may not be so passionate about. I know I feel this way about some of my classmates’ projects. And its okay that is why the world goes around because of our diversity. If not we would all want to be kings and sit and be lazy. But some of us like to cook, others teach, and even if we may not love it others dedicate themselves to the custodial arts.
Anyways, I am very exited for how things are going. Dr. Cole is preparing some readings for me to do while I am abroad. I will really appreciate insight while I am there. Dr. Cole is doing a similar project with some students in Thailand this summer. It could not have been a better match.
While I am gone I want to go to La Universidad Nacional ( the national college of San Salvador) and try to find someone who is researching or has researched water quality. It’s kind of hard to find the most currents information or stories online. Another thing I’ve been thinking about is going to the environmental office or something like that there. I’m sure we must have some place that makes sure El Salvador has good water.
Last class we went over our IRB. I’m scared, or I was scared about it. but I think that is looking much better too. I was confused about making it sound like an internship rather than a study… and explaining the whole water quality part of it. its funny how much my ideas have changed throughout the hole process of applying and writing the proposal. I think nutrition is calling my attention next. I would like to see what the situation is about this issue while down there. I mentioned it to Dr. Cole and he told me he would get me in contact with this one grad student who apparently had the same idea, that communities should be educated about home gardens. I wonder if there would be major things preventing this from happening, and if there are obstacles how to go about over coming them. But now though I think I should focus on what I have planned so far.
The meetings and peer edits we have been having have been very helpful to me. I really needed others perspectives. Sometimes it makes sense to us because we have seen it and heard it too many times. A fresh pair of hears though can make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment