Monday, February 27, 2012

Change of plans?

So, I've been trying to figure out what I want with my future... like always. And I really like food. Not just to eat, but to study. To help teach which foods and recipes are better for our health. In the Inquiry Conference I got the opportunity to hear about two projects that dealt with food. One girl went to Germany. Her presentation really impacted me. I had never thought about how much the food changed with the fall of the Berlin wall. What a great project. I thought it was very interesting. Food was rationed, and the people only ate local food that was in season--so they were actually healthier than the other side. Interesting. So do we have too many choices now? I think so. Though diversity and competition between suppliers in good. Anyway, I won't go down that road at this time.

I am exited though because the woman who will be my mentor in El Salvador is the nutritionist for the organization I will be working with. She is also the nutritionist for the national soccer team (I'm exited about that too).
I have been really torn lately between water quality or nutrition... And then it occurred to me that I can do both! Not both on this same trip. But next one. Once I'm prepared. It can be another workshop, like the water one. Also I think I would like to minor in something having to do with food. It's so important. We eat 3 times a day! and for the people who don't--something needs to be done!

Food!
Science is food. Maybe not in the traditional sense of the chemistry set idea... but it is! I have always wanted to do something with food, and at the Inquiry Conference I saw that others had done it. So can I. And I believe I have met the right person to help me out. Nancy already runs nutrition programs, she knows the people and the methods! What a great opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment