Friday, February 24, 2012

The Reality of Changing the World


Today I had a very helpful meeting with Malcolm. I was able to express a lot of my fears and hopes about my project. He also had a lot of advice to share.
I feel more at ease with my project expectations. I told him that I have noticed how the rest of my classmates seem to be doing very specific research projects, as opposed to trying to go “save the world” as least not right away. It seems to me that most of my peers understand that we really need work on our selves before we go off to try to help other people. I am taking this into consideration as I plan for my project. I have to plan but realize that things will most likely not go as I have planned.
I want this first trip to really set the ground for the rest of my trips. Malcolm also told me that we should not bring anything on our trips. Some people had wanted to take soccer balls, or clothes. I wanted to bring some equipment to measure the water quality. Though, I had already thought about getting some supplies there. So it is a sustainable project. What I am trying to determine now is whether I should try to find the equipment in the capital or see if there are any stores in the more rural areas that might have what I need. I want the school it self to be able to carry out the project with students if they want to. That’s another question that I need to answer. Will FUNDAMUNI be the organization to lounge the water workshop? Or will the local school be able or interested to do it? I don’t expect the school to want to teach this workshop in their social studies classes (just yet) it will be a gradual process. It will start with FUNDAMUNI but I need to get the children some somewhere…
I want to make a huge difference, I know I can, but those big changes are made through small changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment