Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Real Reason Why

More of then than not I forget why I have this desire to help others. When asked what it is that I will be doing in El Salvador for three months, I usually answer that I will be trying to set up water quality workshops in poor areas.
This is what I will be doing, but I never mention it in a way that involves the Gospel. Maybe I don't think its the place or time? I know that I can't talk about the church in every sentence out of my mouth...but I can surely bring it up more than I do now. I don't mean I need to be a "missionary" about my project. But we are representing Him, we will keep the honor code while on our countries. Should't the people we will be working with know why?
Yes, this benefits my future career plans. It will help me see more less what kinds of jobs are out there. What kinds of projects work or don't work. But ultimately I want this to better the lives of at least a few of God's children. The best way to help the poor is by bringing them the hope of the Gospel, but I think they could probably benefit from healthy water as well.
While I am on the field, and as I prepare for this project I want to keep in mind the reason why I am majoring in Public Health and International Development. It is not just to be nice to others, but it is also to keep the commandment that He has given to help the poor.

 Charity is everywhere in the scriptures.
It is the pure love of Christ. I am not saying I will ever do the work Mother Theresa has done, but I can try. And it has to start somewhere. God has given me so many opportunities in life, he has allowed me to get an education, he has granted me the blessing of the Gospel, and now I ask myself: "What can I do?"

No comments:

Post a Comment