Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How It All Comes Together

In 1994 FUNDAMUNI saw the necessity of providing strengthening to the educational development of children and young adults in the areas most affected by the war.
It has taken many years for El Salvador to recuperate from the civil war. As a vulnerable group, the children of the war generation had been neglected and forgotten. This is what I want help change. And as there are already organizations putting forth the effort, I don't have to re-invent the wheel. (At least not yet)
Just recently, FUNDAMUNI organized a race in awareness for youth rights. They argue that even though they cannot vote yet, they still should receive attention. I agree, this is a problem that we see in our society in the United States as well. Candidates will focus on the voting population-trying to keep them happy...occasionally mentioning education and the school system. HUGE PROBLEM. It is not even a very long time before these kids become the next voting generation. It matters to El Salvador and to America. 
Learning about the history of El Salvador has truly made and will continue to have a huge impact in how I see my project. We only spent about 40 minutes talking about it in class, and it wasn't even specific to my country...but it got me thinking about its importance. I was not aware that the organization I was working with had begun their efforts as a direct consequence of the war. They saw a problem and addressed it fairly quickly since the war officially ended in 1992. It will be amazing to get the chance to work with individuals who know the population so well and have been working with them for so many years.
As I recall the American volunteers when I was little, I can remember the big impact they had in my life. They opened my perspective of the world, with their stories and fascinating equipment. I wonder how it will be for me. Coming from the same place...yet visiting as a foreigner. What role can I play? Whose side can I teach?
I have now spent just about the same amount of time in both El Salvador and the United States. And still I ask myself, "Who's story can I tell best?"
After some 'soul' searching I have found that I cannot tell one better than the other. Or just one for that matter. I, like the thousand other immigrant children are a new breed. And that is the story we can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment