Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Signals, talking and communication

I have really enjoyed talking about the different ways people see symbols and signals in different places. It has been fun to think about how differently people in El Salvador express themselves. How people see communication differently makes since of why most jokes just don't translate. It is more than just finding the translation for the words. It is about grasping the meaning and context.
Something that my friends notice about my culture all the time is the fact that instead of pointing with my fingers, I often point with my lips. If I want to signal "over there' for example, I will point to the place with my lips. It's strange here, but that is how we communicate in El Salvador.
It's the same with giving directions. We do not use street names to give people, rather we use buildings, or big trees.Why is matters to keep this is mind--is the fact that the place where I will be staying uses these kinds of communication methods. If i am trying to make it some place and ask for directions the locals will try to guide me in this matter, "You see that road, go far on it till you run into a big rock. Then take a left there. If you pass the yellow street sign you have gone too far."
I remember many of these communication differences, but I am also so use to how we communicate here in the US that it might be a challenge to re-adapt to culture there.

No comments:

Post a Comment